View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #298
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Gagne could be done for the year. Plus the Flyers are at 49 contracts, so they couldn't really sign anyone now because they'd be at 50 and not be able to make any more deals.

It was a chance they took, I'm not really worried because with Gagne's money gone that'll more than make up for Jones' loss of cap space. They have caps space and it isn't like there is a FA out there or even a trade out there that will next the Flyers someone over 4 million.

I am not happy with this but not really upset.

I saw that about Gagne, but I don't see how that would affect or necessitate recalling Jones, other than, if a move is coming to get a replacement for Gagne, that would have been contract #50.

In which case, don't you dump a guy making $500K and eat that contract before you eat $1.375?

As far as salary cap space, I don't believe it's a dollar for dollar opening to replace Gagne. This is the best I could find.

http://nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm#calc_cap

Quote:
LONG-TERM INJURIES
A player is considered to have a bona-fide long-term injury if, in the opinion of the team, the player has an injury which will cause him to miss at least 10 games and 24 days. Even in such cases, the player's salary will continue to count against the team's Upper Limit. This is mentioned at least three times in the CBA, and is repeated in Article 50.10(a):
All Player Salary and Bonuses paid to Players on an NHL Active Roster, Injured Reserve or Non Roster that are Unfit to Play – being either injured or suffering from an illness – shall be counted against a Club's Upper Limit, Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary, as well as against the Players' Share.
For players that the team has filed an LTI exception, the team is allowed to exceed the cap by up to the amount of the injured player's salary with as many replacement players as needed, provided that when the injured player is activated the team comes into compliance with the cap immediately. The team does not get to automatically tack on the amount of the injured player's salary to the Upper Limit - an example as illustrated in Article 50.10(d) of the CBA illustrates this point:
(a)Illustration: A Player with a Player Salary of $1.5 million becomes unfit to play for more than 24 days and 10 games. At the time the Player becomes unfit to play, the Club has an Averaged Club Salary of $39.5 million, and the Upper Limit is $40 million. The Club may replace the unfit-to-play Player with another Player of Players with an aggregate Player Salary and Bonuses of up to $1.5 million. The first $500,000 of such replacement salary and bonuses shall count toward the Club's Average Club Salary, bringing the Averaged Club Salary to the Upper Limit. The Club may then exceed the Upper Limit by up to another $1 million as a result of the replacement salary and bonuses. However, if the unfit-to-play Player once again becomes fit to play, and the Club has not otherwise created any Payroll Room during the interim period, then the Player shall not be permitted to rejoin the Club until such time as the Club reduces its Averaged Club Salary to below the Upper Limit.

So, what I get from that is #1 better be certain they are shutting down Gagne for the season before making a move and #2 the replacement player won't be making $5M, or whatever Gagne's salary is

Does JVR get that spot for now?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote