View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #147
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Over/under on when Nate McMillian gets run? 30 games?

I don't understand how some of these franchises operate in terms of cash. You wait years to get out from under bad deals, draft well, make smart trades, free up some cash....and then dump it on whoever is left standing to take it. If Andre Miller was the missing piece then he should have been handed the PG job the day he arrived and Blake should have been told that he's a hard-nosed player who will make an excellent reserve on our now championship contending team. Instead they piss Miller off. Then since Roy got his money (which he damn well should have) they felt they had to give Aldridge his too. Why? Is there suddenly a shortage of 6-11 big men who can't even average 8 rebounds a game?

What's truly amazing is the enormous sums of money some of these teams (Portland, Detroit) dumped on players when their own team didn't even make a serious (or in some cases any) effort to bring them back. They didn't even want anything for these guys. Hell Milwaukee didn't even want the option to match Charlie V's contract. No sign and trades - just take them. Yes I know the economy played *some* role in that but yet teams are still willing to lock up average to good players for the long term now for way more money than they are worth to not lose that asset for nothing in free agency.

Troy mentioned OKC - Sam Presti knows how to do it. What big time free agent did they overpay this summer to not fit in with their team? That's right - nobody. I would not be surprised to see them as a playoff team this year and one that can make some noise in the next 2-3 years and they did it through the draft and trading for and signing players that can fit their needs with reasonable salaries.