View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 10:49 PM   #25
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Stop bashing Joe Dumars. He has built up one hell of a team. The team in Denver.

Denver has Carmelo because Dumars drafted Darko.
Denver has Billups instead of AI last year or the garbage FA out there this year.
Denver has a major upgrade over Dhaney Jones with Afflalo.

Joe's lost it - the Afflalo trade was stupid. I thought we got a steal when we picked him. He's going to have a long, productive career as a 4th-7th man who plays good defense and does some scoring.

The Billups trade wouldn't have been so bad if he would have a) let Iverson come here and play like Iverson wants to play b) would have taken the next step and sent Rip packing instead of giving him an extension and c) not blown all the cap money on two players who didn't even get offers from their own teams.

The Darko thing...I've said it before and I will be consistent. If I was drafting that day I would have passed on Melo too and I still don't think that was a bad move. I would have taken either Darko or Bosh. Of course knowing what we know now there's no way in hell anyone would have taken Darko there but it's hard to pass on a 7 foot 18 year old who had a ton of hype especially when you already have a championship level team and you can afford to sit on a guy for two years maybe before you really need much out of him. Of course the fact that Wade, Bosh, Melo and others were drafted behind them really makes that pick look bad but that's just how it worked out that it happened to be the biggest bust in one of the best drafts ever.

Bottom line is that Joe started reading the headlines about what a genius he was and then started outsmarting himself. Now we're an afterthought in a fairly weak conference with our future mortgaged for Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva...yeah, we're screwed.