View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #51
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
Sabres pretty much stand pat after two disappointing seasons.

Gotta hope the young'uns step up and some of the vets stay healthy and return to the form many of them had three years ago.

Fans will be calling for somebody's head if they don't hit the postseason this year.

I just hope Tyler Myers gets a real shot at sticking with the club. Gosh, outside of Brian Campbell (who was a mid-round pick), the Sabres haven't had a defenseman they drafted this highly-touted since Phil Housley. And that's over 25 years ago!

I think the Sabres will surprise some pundits this year, many of whom seem to think that inactivity in free agency equals doom in the regular season. As we've seen over the years from teams like the Rangers and the Leafs, overpaying players past their prime isn't a recipe for success. I mean *really*, is Jeff Finger that much better than Ian White?

I see them once again fighting for one of the last three playoff spots. I think they have a ceiling of second in the division, with Boston seemingly the class of the Northeast. Toronto is much improved and scare me much more than the Montreal midgets and the Sens but only if the Leafs brass finally admit that Toskala is just another in the long line of goaltending busts for the club.

That all said, an injury to Ryan Miller would be catastrophic...Patick Lalime is not an NHL quality keeper anymore. I very much worry about the backup goaltending situation. Keeping Tim Connolly healthy is also of utmost importance, although the emergence of Buffalo native Tim Kennedy is a positive development. Kennedy made the team out of camp but will have to score points early and often if he intends to stick.

The Sabres have the makings of two quality scoring lines with Thomas Vanek, Derek Roy, Drew Stafford, Connolly and Jason Pominville in the top six. Clarke MacArthur is currently the second line left winger after a great training camp but he'll need to be much more consistent if he intends to maintain that lofty status. Kennedy or mighty midget Nathan Gerbe, who was just sent down to the AHL after winning the rookie of the year in that league last year, can step into top six roles if necessary.

The checking line is excellent: Jochen Hecht (who had a horrific year last year but is in a much better role as a third liner in 09/10), Paul Gaustad and Mike 'Stonehands' Grier should be a great shutdown trio although I'm sure I'll be screaming at Grier all year for missing empty net after empty net.

The fourth line is full of energy and pests, with overacheiver Matt Ellis centering Adam Mair (when healthy) and Patrick Kaleta (perhaps one of the most hated players in the league).

The defense is a question mark - who will quarterback the powerplay after the departure of Jaro Spacek? Likely sophomore Chris Butler, who impressed in a half season as a rookie. Craig Rivet, newcomer Steve Montador and Myers will likely get time as well early in the season. Henrik Tallinder, who two years ago likely was the best d-man on the team, will have to fight to keep a spot in the lineup...he had a rotten camp and is coming off a bad season.

If I were a betting man, and I am, I'd bet on the Sabres finishing around 8th and making the postseason but again, they need to keep Miller healthy AND get wins out of Lalime when he plays, especially in an Olympic year when Miller will need a bit of rest.

NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote