View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #2052
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Emmanuel Negedu of Tennessee Volunteers hospitalized after collapsing at university sports facility - ESPN

Tennessee sophomore forward Emmanuel Negedu remained hospitalized Tuesday after collapsing at the Neyland-Thompson Sports Complex on Monday afternoon.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reported that Negedu didn't have a pulse when he was revived with a defibrillator on site by members of Tennessee's athletic training staff shortly after 4 p.m. ET. The newspaper reported that according to a source, Negedu was conscious when EMTs arrived.

Late Monday, Tennessee associate athletic trainer Chad Newman said Negedu was transported by ambulance from the sports complex to the UT Medical Center. Negedu was listed in stable condition.

Tennessee spokesman Thomas Satkowiak said Tuesday that the school hoped to have a further detailed statement on Negedu's condition later in the day. Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl was recruiting on Tuesday.

According to the News Sentinel, Pearl said Monday night, "We'd like to thank everyone for their concern and support. We ask you to keep Emmanuel in your prayers."

Negedu worked out Monday morning, went to class and then returned for a light weight room upper-body session in the afternoon. He didn't complain of any pain or show any signs he was in duress, according to the report.

Negedu, who is from Nigeria and was originally slated to go to Arizona before Lute Olson took a leave of absence and then retired, played in 33 games as a freshman and averaged 7.2 minutes and 1.9 points per game. The 6-7, 218-pound Negedu was expected to be a part of the Vols' frontcourt rotation this season.