View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #42
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Not really. Let's go back to what you said.

I, as a private individual can spend money in support or opposition of candidates currently. And, in fact, I can spend just as much as your later mentioned George Soros or T. Boone Pickens- we are each limited to $2000. If I had their resources, I could try to create an organization where I could try to get others to help bundle their money for a candidate but that's it.

I could create a 527, which is, frankly, a loophole that needs to be subject to the same laws as PACs- but that's pretty much my only avenue and I still cannot directly advocate for or against a candidate. But a ruling in this case against campaign finance and you can kiss this change goodbye.

So, I guess you must be opposed to overturning campaign finance laws as they currently exist.

SI

Actually, I'd like to see them all go away. Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech, after all. I don't have a problem if George Soros wants to spend $100,000,000 on television advertisements that say my candidate is a douche, but I want to be able to get together with some like-minded individuals on my side and counter those advertisements as well.

I care less about donation limits to specific candidates than I do donation limits/restrictions on political speech of outside organizations... probably because I'm much more inclined to donate to an outside organization than an actual candidate.