View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #40
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
I'm not a millionaire or a billionaire, if that helps to clarify things.

Not really. Let's go back to what you said.

Quote:
As for ending private funding of campaigns, that's really not what this issue is about. Rather, it's about whether or not groups of individuals, acting together, will have a robust 1st Amendment when it comes to political speech, or whether or not we'll be shut up while millionaires and billionaires can spend their money in individual support or opposition of candidates.

I, as a private individual can spend money in support or opposition of candidates currently. And, in fact, I can spend just as much as your later mentioned George Soros or T. Boone Pickens- we are each limited to $2000. If I had their resources, I could try to create an organization where I could try to get others to help bundle their money for a candidate but that's it.

I could create a 527, which is, frankly, a loophole that needs to be subject to the same laws as PACs- but that's pretty much my only avenue and I still cannot directly advocate for or against a candidate. But a ruling in this case against campaign finance and you can kiss this change goodbye.

So, I guess you must be opposed to overturning campaign finance laws as they currently exist.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote