View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #12
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Just to clarify this - you believe that it'd be ok for an American arrested abroad to be subjected to torture or imprisonment without trial in a similar manner?

You can't pick and choose who should be treated according to laws imho, if you set down laws then everyone should follow them - I sincerely believe that a society is judged by how it treats its lesser mmbers whether those are criminals, foreign nationals or the poor.

(as an aside as a 'foreigner' if the US didn't treat me fairly I sure as heck wouldn't be living over here and I think you'd probably find that the amount of tourists visiting would decrease somewhat )

There's a difference between "OK" and constitutionality. Iran and North Korea both recently imprisoned American citizens. That's not cool, but the governments of North Korea and Iran certainly aren't bound by the U.S. constitution, just as we're not bound by their laws.

As for foreigners - I think the constitution (the entire constitution) applies to individual U.S. citizens and those individuals living here legally, and that's it. Certainly not corporations and certainly not foreign terrorists.

Last edited by molson : 09-09-2009 at 11:27 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote