View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #427
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Yes, he's won a lot of games... behind teams that mostly prevented the opposition from taking many shots, and especially few quality shots.

Lets look at this another way: he's never won a Vezina and as far as I can tell was only a finalist once (95-96). How many of those other top 10 goalies on your list can you say that about? Only Cujo, and even he was a finalist more than once (looks like he was 2nd or 3rd at least three times).

Osgood racked up wins behind some amazing teams, and was never considered a top-flight goalie at any point in his career. Even his own fans (see H_B above) admit that he isn't really a contender for one of the top 5 positions on the Canadian Olympic team, and this is coming off a couple of his best playoff runs ever.

Sorry, but he's not a Hall of Famer.

The "Is Chris Osgood a Hall of Famer" debate gets raised at least once a month on Detroit sports talk radio and more than that during hockey season.

I could care less. I can't stand Hall of Fame debates, but that's just a personal thing.

That said, I have stopped doubting Chris Osgood. Despite whatever perception there is of him out there, until he starts to breakdown or really craps the bed in the playoffs, I am not worrying about Detroit's goaltending so long as he's the starter. While the opposing goalie may be better than Osgood, Detroit's goaltending is no bigger concern to me than it would be if I were a fan of any other team with any other goalie in net.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote