View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
Radii
Head Coach

DSL/Phone/Filtering Question

We have DSL and phone service from Embarq here near Raleigh, NC. As far as I know there are zero issues with the phone service at all. I bitch about the DSL service constantly. I keep a "ping -t" window open to a reliable location and many times a day 2-8 pings in a row will time out, sometimes causing me to lose all my connectivity to the office, making me unhappy, blah blah. I never figured out why until today(nor has embarq support).

When we receive an incoming call to the house phone line, the DSL service will be interrupted *but only while the phone is ringing*. Occasionally a ping will get through in between rings, and once the phone is picked up, service returns to normal. I have not yet noticed any issues while someone is talking on the phone, only while waiting for an incoming call to be picked up.

My first thought was a phone not having DSL Filters set up. I did find one phone line that didn't have a filter on it, but unplugging that phone line(and later properly installing a filter) didn't change anything. I have scoured the rest of the house and have not found any phone jacks unexpectedly in use. Also, after googling DSL Filters, it seems their purpose is to prevent the DSL line from messing up phone conversations, not vice versa, so I'm not sure that matters anyway?

Other info:

I have a Linksys wireless-G router(WRT54G) that I use in front of the DSL modem. I have two wireless computers and one wired going through that router to use the DSL Service. The problem is occurring on all computers, including the wired one.

For the home line we have a phone system similar to: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1179165599340. by similar I mean we have a cordless system with one base and a couple other phones that don't all have their own connections to phone jacks.

Is this problem ringing any bells with anyone? Any suggestions on potential troubleshooting?

Last edited by Radii : 07-01-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote