View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Are the property tax / real estate transactions for your area available online? If so, it'd be interesting to see how those list the house versus the listing & versus your own calculations.

Other possibilities might include an improved attic space, or finished basement perhaps (or space that's being counted as improved when it really isn't by any normal standard).

In the grand scheme of things, if you aren't interested in the house & have no connection to it then it probably falls into the realm of "why borrow someone else's troubles" and should be forgotten about. On the other hand, sometimes stuff like that bugs me too so I don't see anything wrong with simply calling the agent and letting them know you went to the open house & wondered about the discrepancy.

I've seen some properties occasionally be off by 100-200 sq. ft. thanks to creative rounding errors or whatever but I can't say I've ever run across one that's off by this much. Almost makes me wonder if there's something as simple as a typo somewhere that caused it.