View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
Swaggs
Coordinator

Question for Real Estate Experts

My wife and I are not looking to move, but we went to an open house, in a neighborhood we like, over the weekend.

The house was advertised as 3024 Sq Ft and the price was $339,000. About in line for the dollar per Sq Ft around here. It was alright, but nothing overly special and it surprisingly seemed to be about the same size as our house (about 1900 Sq Ft).

So, we take the MLS sheet don't think about it until later, until my wife decides that she is sure that it isn't that much bigger than our house. She totals up the specs for the rooms and it turns out to be a hair under 1800 Sq Ft or a little under 2200 if you include a covered porch (which is probably not considered a "finished room" -- I can't remember if it was screened in or not).

We have no interest in the home, but should we contact the realtor and suggest that she recalculate the SqFt of the home? It seems like a gross error that would make the price of the house close to $100K more than it should be priced as (based on average price per area around here) or a completely fraudulent listing that would likely be uncovered, I assume, by the buyers' appraisal.

Is this common? Any thoughts?

Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote