View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Oil v. Gas Furnace

We have an oil furnace in our house and I believe the tank has a small leak (we recently noticed our basement starting to smell like oil and I noticed a small amount of oil under the tank) I am going to call the HVAC place this week to see what can be done, but everyone I have mentioned it to seems to be of the mind that they will likely have to replace the entire tank instead of being able to fix the leak. To me, it looks like it is rusted on the bottom, so I can't really tell either way. Another one of my friends suggested, depending on the cost of replacing the tank, maybe just getting a gas furnace instead. Other than burning hotter and probably being cheaper than gas, what is the benefit to spending the money and keeping the oil furnace? Has anyone dealt with an issue like this or switched recently? I don't really have an attachment to either one - the house came with the oil furnace so we just went with that obviously. I just hoping to save some money and go with the cheaper solution at this point (and down the road of course)

PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote