View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm interested, but probably only for the $30 - $40 range. My big thing is can a person that has a $30 team even compete again the guys that shell out $80 - $100?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
The difference in cost is in how much you spend. Basically its breaks down into three sections of cost based on a $60 million salary cap and a $120 million hard cap.

1. Salary cost - you pay 50 cents for every $1M of salary on your team (a minimum of $30 regardless so if you are under the cap you pay $30 - generally nobody operates under the cap during a season and the initial draft is set to start you with a salary right around the cap)

2. Luxury tax - for every $1M over the cap you go up to 1.5x the cap ($90M) you owe an additional 50 cents. So if your salary was $90M then you owe $45 for salaries (90*.50) and $15 for luxury taxes ([90-60]*.50) so $60

3. Double luxury tax - if you exceed $90M up to $120M you pay $1 per $1M at that point so if you go all the way to $120M you owe 60 for salaries, 15 from the first portion of luxury tax and 30 from the double tax for a total of $105

Basically its a method of trying to keep the league balanced yet allow you to keep your team if you're willing to pay extra. Its a keeper league and salaries increase every season - so you can keep most of your team together but you have to contribute something extra to the pot to do it. Otherwise you're able to release players each offseason with no penalty so you're perfectly free to be a fiscally sound franchise and operate with maybe a couple of stars and the rest marginal and/or rookie players or you can spend big (to a point at least - that's why the hard cap is there) and hope that it pays off by winning it all.

The full league constitution explains the salary increases and contract system. If you are interested I can email it to you - the system works very well and really allows you to build a team you like without being forced to dump X amount of players like some keeper leagues and it also allows you to be able to rebuild very quickly if things don't go very well.