View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I'm not sure if anybody had reported this on here, but it looks like Benoit had some pretty bad brain damage at the time of the double murder/suicide a couple years back. It makes me wonder what guys with multiple concussions like Steve Young, or Troy Aikman are going to be like in their later years. Young suffered 7 concussions while Aikman had ten...scary.

Benoit's Brain Showed Severe Damage From Multiple Concussions, Doctor and Dad Say - ABC News

I'm confused, you do realize that this was very well known at the time, right? Or more accurately I guess, was a focal point of a lot of discussions about it at the time.

The former wrestler referenced in the article is Chris Nowinski, a Harvard graduate who had a short run with the WWE. He has worked quite a bit in recent years with the research group mentioned in the article, which is the same one that did similar examinations on former Eagle Andre Waters after his suicide and former Steeler Justin Strzelczyk after he died in a car crash after a high speed police chase. In both of those cases, they found similar evidence of CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy) or Dementia Pugilistica, a condition named for & first noticed in boxers as far back as 1928.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-25-2009 at 01:54 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote