View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 03:43 AM   #232
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The problem for Memphis is it isn't a place most NBA players want to go to. Even with cap room they're not going to land Wade, Lebron, or Bosh. They can land a 2nd tier star such as Rashard Lewis with a max deal and that's probably their limit. Gay has the potential to be just that type of player and Conley looked solid the last couple months of the season.

From Boston's perspective, if they don't plan on resigning Rondo and he's as big of a headache as reported then they're landing a guy that would instantly be one of the top 6th men in the league and a young, pass first point guard that was a top 5 pick just 2 years ago.

After the Gasol trade it seemed they had decided to blow things up and just start over. Everyone ripped them for the trade, but at least it seemed like they had a direction in mind. Now just a year and half later they're starting over again by trading two starters that are ages 22 and 21.

I can only think that they feel Rondo is a franchise player who will be one of the top 3-5 point guards in the league. That in the deal, they would be ending up with the best player. That Rondo has the talent that you can build a team around, and due to him not being a bigger name, he'll probably be willing to sign in Memphis long term and be their star. With that in place, plus Thabeet and a high pick or free agent next year, they could be a young playoff team.

I don't necessarily agree with that, but I don't think the trade is horrible. Conley is OK at PG. Gay is a good player but not someone who is capable of leading a team.

But it's Memphis and they'll surely make the stupid moves. This is the team who is passing on Rubio for Thabeet.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote