View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #122
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
First minor rumbling for Carolina on their players as Jim Rutherford all-but-officially said that Dennis Seidenberg is gone based on the salary expectations that Seidenberg and his agent were looking at. JR was semi-touting Frank Kaberle and his millstone no-trade contract as a viable replacement (though most Carolina fans are desperately hoping he'll play in the KHL or elsewhere overseas next year). If Kaberle is also gone, that leaves Carolina with five D's under contract, so they'll definitely be doing some shopping (even if he stays, they'd still go shopping, but at a pretty reduced budget).

One positive of Seidenberg leaving is that it increases the likelihood that Carolina has more room to re-sign LaRose, Ruutu, and Jokinen if they want (personally, I do want to keep those three for various reasons). I wouldn't mind Cole staying, either, but after that brief burst of great play after getting back to Raleigh, he pretty much disappeared statistically, especially in the playoffs. He'll have to take about a 50% pay cut or more for it to make sense for him to stay here again based on recent performance.

What is Seidenberg asking for?

He's a potential replacement for Rob Scuderi, who I am feeling more and more is gone. Seidenberg won't be as good as Scuds was in a PK and shutdown role, but he can do other things...like actually handle the puck.

I'd be curious about Jokinen in Pittsburgh if he wasn't asking alot. He'd be a (relatively) cheap option with Sid or Geno.

I really like Larose as a player, but with Kennedy and Talbot, and lesser degree Cooke, we have too many guys that do what he does.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote