View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #101
Travis
Pro Rookie

As much as I'd love to see Bouwmeester end up here, the only way it happens is if the Oilers deal two of Visnovsky, Souray and Gilbert. Personally I'm all for that. Souray being a big time sell high candidate and while I like Visnovsky's skill set, I'd rather see them keep Gilbert unless whatever deal they're looking to make requires them to throw in Gilbert rather than Souray or Lubo.

At this point I'm expecting at least 2 "big" moves out of the Oilers, possibly 3. One should be going after a top tier sniper (yes I'm looking at you Heatley) and my assumption is one D would be going back the other way. Second is for a goalie, though a lot of how that plays out will come down to how much Quinn likes Deslauriers and Dubnyk and whether the Oil are pursuing Gustavsson or not. This is probably where they'll look to free agency unless they want to make a huge splash, so I'm not assuming a D will get moved here (though obviously not out of the question). Last would be to move up in the draft from the #10 spot and that would be a prime chance to include a puck mover on the back end to sweeten the pot.

Oilers need to jettison some of their blue line salary in a big way. With Grebeshkov and Smid both due for raises, no way they can even think about Bouwmeester unless they have those other deals in place. If they do try to make it happen and only move one of the big three I'd have to assume that the trade for a sniper won't take place until during next season which could change a lot of player values a lot, so hard to guess who might go for what until much later.