View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #99
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So, not too surprisingly, Mike Babcock was named as the coach for Canada's Olympic hockey team.

I have always had mixed feelings when it comes to international hockey. While I pretty much always route for the US in international competitions, hockey has always been a bit more complicated because there have been so few great US-born Red Wings, so my loyalties tend to be divided.

I loved the fact that Yzerman and Shanahan won gold medals in 2004. I was happy for all the Wings' Swedish contingent in 2008. While I don't expect any Wings players to be on the 2010 Canadian National team, I think I'd really like to see them win because Yzerman is the GM and Babcock's the coach.

In any event, it should be a great tournament. Russia, Sweden and Canada should all be amazingly good teams. It will be really interesting to see what kind of team the US puts together since most of the old guard are officially gone. You thrown in the fact that the games will be in Vancouver and it's a recipe for a amazing series of games.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote