View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 06:52 AM   #21
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've watched this for a couple of seasons because my wife watches it.

What amazes me is that they decided to go ahead with this season, knowing the problems they were having. If the kids are really that important to you, I think you owe it to them to take a 6-month hiatus from the show and try to work things out, or decide it's over and keep as much of it out of the media as possible. You want to go on with the show as a divorced couple? Fine, but the first episode should have been the announcement of the separation - in October, maybe. The way they've handled this suggests it's more about the money than anything. Signing up for a double season (40 episodes this season rather than the typical 20) - 95% of which are apparently going to be as a separated couple where they just shuffle the kids back and forth between the two of them and film them doing stuff separately - is outrageous, for people who repeatedly tell us they care about their kids.

It'll be interesting to see how the rating fare from this point forward. I guess there's something to be learned and some interest in seeing how the kids deal with the divorce, but given what this show used to be, I'm not sure people are going to want to tune in to witness the destruction of a relationship and see these kids used as the centerpiece of a TV show. It's one thing to start with the premise of a divorce, but it's another to take what used to be an otherwise happy family and continue filming the decline.

As a TV show, this thing jumped the shark when they started making up things for them to do every freaking week - sending them on vacations, having special guests, getting their vows renewed (which apparently occurred while all these problems were very much evident), getting the million dollar house, getting puppies, etc. - as opposed to just filming them living life. And I think that's probably when the relationship started to lose steam, too - they were more actors than spouses, trying to put on a good, entertaining show every week as opposed to just being a married couple with 8 kids.

I find it hard to believe that these two people don't recognize that all the money they are making from this show will not be enough to overcome the issues they are causing their kids. Very sad situation.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-23-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote