View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #47
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
But you haven't even told us or presumably determined in any methodical manner how you measured greatness and how these people meet that measure.

I would say, for the most part, the people i mentioned changed their field in some fundamentally unique way. i guess great would be people who if you were doing a history of the subject you could not leave out heir contribution to their field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I don't think the issue with women is that they're coming from a harsh environment. It's that they're in a culture that devalues the artistic input of women, discourages them from creative fields and doesn't let them rise to the top.

I agree. I'm wondering though, if for the vast majority of human time women have not been given the opportunity to creatively contribute to society, can they start now? What effect has 1000's of generations of norms had on the biological creative expression of women? Is it unreasonable to say (as malcom gladwell states) Asians are good at math because generations of being rice farmers therefore, women are not as culturally creative because of their emphasis on family?

I also can see this in a conflict view. Men (those in charge) create the rules for others to play by. Those rules will always keep them in power, and others with the false hope of gaining power.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote