View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #82
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I've never heard anything about Hossa returning to Europe. It's possible, but this is the first I've heard of it.

According to NHLnumbers.com, which is pretty good, the Wings' current cap number (with no UFAs or RFAs signed) is at $51.255. So, even if the cap stayed the same, the Wings have about $5.4 million left. I am not sure if that number includes Abdelkader, Helm and/or Ericsson.

If Hossa is going to say, he's going to need to sign a deal similar to what Franzen signed. It'd be something very long term, but a cap hit somwhere's around $4-$4.5 tops. Even that type of deal would be dependent on the cap increasing by some amount, say, $2-3 million or so. I just don't see eother of those things happening.

The only other alternative is try to and trade a player to free up cap space, but that's not too likely or cut a guy like Draper (not going to happen) or Maltby (possibly, but unlikey, and, even if so, that's still not a lot of money coming back).

The whole return to Europe thing was mentioned on a Pittsburgh sports call-in show, with rotating hosts. This guy is pretty awful (none are great). So, it could be entirely made up.

I honestly can't see him taking $4M, but what do I know.

And as far as the cap, everything I've read is steady this year, somewhere around $56M, but 2010-11 season could drop to around $50. So, I know you'd have Lidstrom's contract up, but also Osgood (I think) and need a replacement there.

Sak and I were discussing, about 24 teams would be screwed under that situation. They'd have to discount the previously signed contracts like they did after the lockout, or there'd be 400 free agents.

Very similar to Pittsburgh, we've got guys who are overpaid, like Dupuis making$1.4M, but to cut him, be on the hook for 1/2 that, and need to pay his replacement, there is no savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
Yeah we need Draper to come in on breakaways and shoot it directly at the goalie. His defense is so overrated. I'd take someone with even "less" defense who can actually contribute elsewhere on the ice over Draper anyday. He is so overhyped IMO.

Love the Wings though, looking forward to another run next year.

But who would talk for Lidstrom?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote