View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #79
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
What is the max the Wings can play Hossa? Assuming Samuelsson and Hudler are gone, and replaced by cheap (minimum salary?) guys like Helm and Abdelkader.

Also heard recently, for the first time, that it was believed had Hossa won his Cup, he would have returned to Europe. Was anything like that rumored in Detroit?

I've never heard anything about Hossa returning to Europe. It's possible, but this is the first I've heard of it.

According to NHLnumbers.com, which is pretty good, the Wings' current cap number (with no UFAs or RFAs signed) is at $51.255. So, even if the cap stayed the same, the Wings have about $5.4 million left. I am not sure if that number includes Abdelkader, Helm and/or Ericsson.

If Hossa is going to say, he's going to need to sign a deal similar to what Franzen signed. It'd be something very long term, but a cap hit somwhere's around $4-$4.5 tops. Even that type of deal would be dependent on the cap increasing by some amount, say, $2-3 million or so. I just don't see eother of those things happening.

The only other alternative is try to and trade a player to free up cap space, but that's not too likely or cut a guy like Draper (not going to happen) or Maltby (possibly, but unlikey, and, even if so, that's still not a lot of money coming back).
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-22-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote