View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #76
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
As for the Wings, nothing will be decided until the cap is set. Even then, it will be a hard choice.

Everyone is basically looking at the situation as if the wings have two options: 1) Keep Hossa and let Samuelsson and Hulder walk or 2) Keep Hudler and Samuelsson and let Hossa walk.

I don't think it's quite that simple. Obviously if the Wings keep Hossa, they wont be able to resign either of those guys. Even if Hossa walks, I am not sure both Hudler and Samuelsson coming back is a sure thing. It all depends on what these guys feel like they can get elsewhere. Samuelsson has more options as an UFA and Hudler has fewer since he's an RFA. Hudler had a pretty good year, his best ever, scoring 29 goals. He does a lot with limited ice time. That said, he only gets limited ice time because there are many limits as to what he can do. He's not a great skater. Not big. Doesn't play great defense. He's got a good knack for the puck, sees the ice pretty well and good on the power play. I just can't see the Wings paying him anymore than $2 million a year, tops. They already have Cleary and Filpulla just above that and I'm not sure how many 3rd line/power play forwards who play around 10-12 minutes a game one can be willing to pay $2+ million. You already have Holmstrom getting paid at around that level.

It will be really interesting to see what happens. I've always thought that it was either Hossa or Franzen. In fact, I always figured the Wings would re-sign Franzen and always figured Hossa would be a 1 year gamble. Still, over the last 15 years, the Wings have always been incredibly good to their own. While they don't hold on to players who don't develop, those who do and play well are rewarded for it. It's unlike them to just let go good soldiers in order to chase outside help. In the pre-cap world this wasn't an issue. Guys like McCarty, Draper, Maltby, etc. go their due and the Wings were still able to go out and get Hulls and Robitailles and Ray Whitneys. Obviously, that has changed and this is really the first time, since just after the lockout when the Wings were forced to buyout contracts, that they are really forced with some very tough decisions.

Personally, if Hossa is willing to take a cap friendly deal to stay, I'd love it. I just don't see that happening. He'd really need to sacrifice a lot of money and I am not sure how comfortable Holland would be having so many super long term contracts (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, and Franzen). If Hossa does re-sign, the Wings will likely run into cap issues almost every year. I think having some cap flexibility is important, especially given how many unknowns there are from year to year (i.e., cap level, development of younger players, decline of play of older players, etc.) Given all of that and the fact that there are some teams out there with loads of cap space burning a hole in their pocket, I think Hossa is out of here.

I believe he is gone as well. I would like to see them keep Samuelsson and Hudler and let Hossa walk. Yes, he had a 40 goal regular season, but he essentially disappeared in the playoffs. The Wings proved last year that they can win the Cup without Hossa (and previous years as well). I just don't see the long term benefit of signing him to a multi-year deal.

I believe that Maltby is probably done in Detroit and Chelios is certainly finished with the Wings. I would not be surprised to see him play with Chicago one final year before retirement (although in my opinion he should have retired 3 years ago). The Wings have some talent that needs to come up to the big club and get some minutes - Abdelkader, Ericsson, Hudler, Filpulla, Leino. Another year or two for Lidstrom and Draper is about all we can expect. Lidstrom especially looked tired in the Finals (albeit groin surgery does not help). A changing of the guard is in order for some of the long time Red Wing players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote