View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #35
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Seriously? How many male musicians write their own stuff? Probably the exact same amount. I could spend all day listing female artists that I'm personally aware of that write their own stuff, and I'm certainly no music expert.

In addition, writing your own music isn't the only measure of artistic talent. Many of the greatest musicians and singers ever did not write thier own material.

This shows one of the problems in having this sort of argument though. Clearly different segments of the arts have different populations. There are many many artists that some of us may have never heard of, and that doesn't mean they're not great. Meanwhile we all see a lot of pop stars shoved in our face, and clearly that's not the best place to find great artists.

I think if you listen to certain types of music maybe you're never exposed to great female artists, that's probably half the problem here.

Most singers do not write their own music and if they do its usually one or two songs. Off the topic of my head the only great female artist I can think of is Alicia Keys and even then she works in tandem with another person to make her music.

I try to listen to everything but I do admit I am not well versed in every genre. Being able sing something is a nice skill but without the words would it matter? I say no.

Also isn't being great subjective?