View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #31
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
This is what i was getting at. So, to you, the environment is the reason. All things being equal there would just as many greats on both sides?

I'm not too sure about this. There have been lots of men who created more while coming out of less than equal environments.

How many artistic areas are women superior in their category? Is this because of the sexism in our society? seems to me for every joan baez there is a better dylan.

I think the premises on which you are building your arguments are deeply flawed. Your argument is predicated on the point that the playing field is somehow close to level between men and women. Although women have certainly made strides, the field is hardly level.

As an example, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, a man's average wage is about 25% greater than the average woman's wage. The gap is the largest at the top end, of course -- among the folks that have the hiring/firing authority.

The studies of gender-bias in the classroom that were really popular in the '90s still say the same thing today -- boys get a lot more personal attention and encouragement than do girls, on average.

You seem to be focusing on the entertainment industry. Just recently have women been able to break through into the top ranks in any numbers in the biggest studios. They are still a distinct minority. Until you have female decision-makers in an even proportion, you are unlikely to see female talent given the same kinds of opportunity that male talent is given.

But your most flawed argument is that Bob Dylan is anything more than an unlistenable, tuneless hack.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote