View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #14
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
I think I'm judging on type of contribution. I see a lot of famous women writers, musicians but the vast majority of them write and sing about being a women. Whereas, I think women in politics have gone way beyond just being pro-women politicians. And we as a society expect them to be more than just about women rights, not sure about the artist.

I'm not saying there are not great examples, but the ratio is still way under represented. Without researching it I'm guessing if you listed the truly great movie, book, song writers and movie directors/producers and artist over the last fifty years the ratio of male to female would be at least 10:1. I'm just wondering why this is so.

In the first paragraph, you seem to be talking about the quality of the politician / creative type. In the second paragraph you're talking about number of women in a field. I can't really discuss the first, but in regards to the second, do you feel the ratio of male to female is less than 10:1 in politics? How many females currently occupy the chief executive / prime minister role of another country vs. number of countries in the world? I would suspect it's as bad for them in politics, either in your state, the country, or worldwide (if we could even dream of having those types of comprehensive figures for all worldwide politicians).

Last edited by JAG : 06-22-2009 at 01:42 PM. Reason: swapped sentences
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote