View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #143
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Juan Dixon went 17th and was better than at least 7 players drafted ahead of him 2002 NBA Draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . While Curry may not have the potential of a Jrue Holiday or Earl Clark, he's also about as close to being a sure thing rotation/niche player on a championship-caliber team you're gonna get beyond Blake Griffin. Minimum, he's JJ Redick - who just played a role on an NBA finals team - and if he can master PG he can be an all-star. I think he can, others disagree, but that still leaves a great shooting 2-guard.
Drafting a 6-2 non-PG with limited upside isn't a good value recipe for a top 10 pick. In his 7-year career, by far Dixon's best season was a 12.3 PPG, 2.0 APG, 43% FG (38% 3) effort in Portland. For his career, he's a 41% FG shooter (34% 3).

The fact that he's better than Euro washouts Jiri Welsch and Nikoloz Tskitishvili doesn't mean he was a great pick. At 17, he was fine, but if Dixon would have gone 9 it would have been a terrible pick.

I think Curry could be a nice Dixon/Reddick type in the pros, but those guys usually go in the 20s - not 9th overall.

I would rather take a shot on a player with the potential to be great like Jonny Flynn, DeMar DeRozan or Earl Clark in the top 10 instead of taking a guy who is basically Eddie House if things go well.

Last edited by Arles : 06-17-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote