View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #1802
RainMaker
General Manager

I think the difference in the 90's and today is the parity that took over the league upon the implementation of the salary cap. The 90's had more top tier teams, but they also had more atrocious teams. The Bulls also made some great teams look worse than they were.

Besides teams the Bulls faced in the finals who were all better than this year's Magic, there was always a lot of competition in the East. You had the Knicks who were perfectly built for that era of basketball. A Magic team that featured Shaq and Penny (along with some others). The Hornets squad was pretty good with Mourning and LJ. There was also some good Heat and Hawks teams from that time. The Nets had a solid squad with Coleman and Anderson while the Cavs were always a solid playoff team in the beginning of the era.

I'm not taking anything away from Kobe, I'm just saying I'd much rather have his road to a title than anything the Bulls went through in the 90's. If you look back on the road that championship teams have had, you won't find one like this unless you go back to the Pistons titles. All I've been trying to say is that this ring would have added much more to his legacy if he had beaten a KG-led Celtics team or Lebron and the Cavs. I don't know how you can argue that.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote