View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #1559
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I guess I should have started by saying that I don't care one way or the other about the handshake line. If Crosby had skated up to Lidstrom and shoved a dirty jock strap into Lidstrom's face, I wouldn't be offended. Still, I thought the handshakes were just a thing that each player is "supposed" (or expected) to do. If you don't do it, you'll get shit for it. If you get shit for it, explain yourself or tell the world to jump in a lake. Whatever. But if a captain breaks a long-standing tradition, let's not pretend that everyone's going to ignore it.

In any case, why are people surprised by the conversation or backlash? Whenever an athlete does something in another sport that is perceived as "less than classy," people go nuts. A baseball player admires his home run, a football player dances after a sack, a basketball player pounds his chest after a dunk, a whole college football team dances on someone else's logo. At first glance, those are no more disrespectful to the opponent than a hockey captain not shaking his counterpart's hand after a series.

So even though I don't really care about Crosby specifically, I'm just wondering why people are surprised that anyone brought up this incident when this kind of "outrage" (if you want to call it that) happens all the time.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 06-15-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote