View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #82
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Totally agree, I emailed a coach I talk to at BYU from time to time and right now, with ancillaries, stipends, travel , meal costs and actual tuition the average Football schollie costs $125,000 to $150,000 over 4 years. With each class averaging around 22 athletes thats well over $3,000,000 per class if they stay and earn a degree. Obviously not all kids stay, but those are lofty figures. Add to the fact that most players are treated very well by any number of people (Girls, Alumni, etc) that but them things, lends them Cars and everything else, not tom mention the extra money his degree will help him earn when he enters the work force. Should anyone really cry for Sam Keller, whose career never fullfilled the hype and who now whats to file a bullshit suit instead of earning an honest living like the rest of us.

In the end if they divied up the profits from Merchandise and Video game sales amoung the players and said "Here, pay your own tuition." I highly doubt the players would come out ahead. Also lets not forget the fact that Football and Basketball are the only two College sports that really make money, so they therefore subsidize things like Lacrosse, swimming, Baseball, etc, helping many more men and women in other sports get a free College education as well.

Scholarships are great for the players, but lets not act like this is done by schools out of the greatness of their heart. Those scholarships help schools like BYU reach bowl games and make millions of dollars in profit for the university.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote