View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #219
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
You still haven't shown why a team that is a Top 35 team in nearly every objective measure going into a tournament with 34 at-large bids is an undeserving recipient of one of those bids. Especially considering that multiple teams in front of them received automatic bids.

Objective measure? How about "Did this team finish at least in the top 80% of wins in their conference?" College RPI has been broken for years, all major college baseball publications have been saying this for at least a decade. You act like I am the one that is off base here, when everyone I have heard from baseball america and collegiate baseball talk in depth about the brackets agree with me.

As a comparison of methods, they wouldn't be picked in the NCAA basketball tournament, and in that respect the basketball tournament does it correctly. Everyone who follows college basketball selection would agree that a top 35 RPI team with that kind of poor second half of the season resume should not be in the tournament. You do not pick teams for the tournament that gel into sub par teams. And second half of the season should be MORE important in college baseball, because a college baseball team takes longer to gel due to the intricacies of building a pitching staff.

It is just common sense, national college baseball writers understand that. The committee didn't.

Last edited by Tigercat : 06-02-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote