View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #268
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I agree with part of your assertion- comparing to the 360 and PS3 is not what Nintendo should be doing. However, you throw out a bold assertion in the middle that's patently false.

They're doing well compared to the PS2 sales numbers which is pretty much the gold standard as it was the best selling console ever and shows a reasonable saturation point for a globally dominating console. And they're doing it in a horrible world economy, worse than anything the PS2 was operating in.

So, yes, all of your other sentences are correct. The one in the middle, which is the crux of your argument, is just flat out wrong.

SI

Could be. It's a fair comparison point, though it's not wrong as you suggest. The PS2 was at a cheaper price point at this point in its lifecycle than the Wii. If the Wii were running at a price point similar to what the PS2 ran at, I think it would be selling in significantly larger numbers than it currently is.

My guess is that Nintendo is going to remain at this price until we see the expected $100 price drop of the PS3 later this year. Then they'll drop the price to negate that effect. Nintendo may also drop the price in Japan when FFXIII is released on the PS3 over there.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote