View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #199
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

For those who don't follow college baseball regularly, much less Tech baseball, let me expand on what I meant.

-- Since losing to Oklahoma in the CWS final in his first season in 1994, we've been to the CWS twice, going 1-4.

-- Last four seasons finished no higher than 4th in the ACC.
-- Last three seasons has gone 2-6 in the ACC tournament & haven't won a conference tournament game since the opener in '08
-- ACC regular season champ or runner-up in 03, 04, and 05 but couldn't make it to Omaha.
-- Since Tech last won a CWS game (2002), the ACC has sent Miami 4x, UNC 3x, and Clemson & FSU 1x each. Georgia has been 3x. And with the exception of FSU all have won at least one game and have five final four appearances between them.

But these are Tech teams that have won 40 or more in the regular season 9 of the last 10 years, and have had 10 players drafted in 2005, 10 again in 2007, and a total of 39 draft picks in the last 5 years. During his tenure 16 players have made it to the majors already, 12 since the '94 team he inherited (which included Nomar, Varitek, Jay Payton, and Brad Rigby), and 11 others are currently playing in the minors.

In short, it's not as though there's been a lack of talent in the program.