View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #102
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
I just don't buy that Okie State is a good baseball team arguement. Plenty of strong 3 and 4 seeds that aren't OSU can consistently win more games against strong major conference talent than OSU did down the stretch. Hell, it is my view(and the RPI last I saw) that SEC was stronger than the Big 12 this year, and Auburn and Kentucky did better inconference than OSU did, but still I am plenty confident that there are four seeds and teams left out that could have done better in the SEC than those two teams. It is easier to beat great teams as a decent team in baseball, cause "that's baseball." I find it hard to believe that a good baseball team can't win more games against other good baseball teams down the stretch.

Well, your view carries a lot more weight than the RPI. Nothing personal against you, but I dismiss out of hand any argument that relies on the college baseball RPI as its sole supporting evidence. The RPI in college baseball really is that worthless.

Regarding the rest of your argument, we simply disagree. You are saying that going 10-16 against very good baseball teams is something that plenty of teams left out could have done better than. I disagree. Yes, lesser teams win more often in baseball, but the variance among college baseball teams is far greater than the pros. This isn't MLB. 10-16 against a very tough conference means you're a very good team.

Oklahoma State is 38/25/33/31 in the four systems I know of that don't use MOV in college baseball (Massey/ISR/NMV/EWP). Yes, the last two are mine.

They are 20/21/19 in the three systems that are purely MOV, all of which I run. They are 22/25 in my two combination sets. I find it hard to get worked up about such a team getting an at-large bid into a tournament where there are 34 such recipients.

I'd be happy to take up the cause for other teams that got left out. Whom should we examine? I'll check back tonight as my evening errands are getting started.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote