View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #391
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
What is with your obsession about black people doing awful things? This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen you take this angle. Cops don't get to beat the crap out of people and be able to right it off because "we're all human."

Just pointing out how people aren't as open-minded as they think they are. This point was directed to Rainmaker, not anyone who just has a problem with anything a particular officer does.

We're at a point in society, fortunately, where we can recognize a bias against a race. But we can't recognize it when it comes to any other group: a particular occupation, religion, income status, sexual orientation, etc. I try to make the point about painting broad strokes over groups of people by using the most obvious one, the only one the mainstream really "gets" at this point in humans' development.

With police, of course, these broad strokes are particularly dangerous, because those who have that bias think that when they interact with the police, they police are automatically in the wrong. The rage of moral superiority can consume them, and they can escalate the situation into something dangerous. Happens all the time. It's really an identical process to any other kind of bigotry. If I hate black people, I'm going to act around them in a way that will make them (appropriately) act negatively towards me, thus confirming my prejudice.

The only way to end that cycle is to have the courage to give up the hate and try to see people in any group as humans.

I made this rant last night, it's not related to anything posted yesterday, it's really from the past in this thread.

Last edited by molson : 05-21-2009 at 07:00 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote