View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #80
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Gasol is not a crappy defender imo. Heīs not great and certainly not a great "presence" but he doesnīt make many mistakes, rotates well and works hard for position. Pretty much serviceable considering his offensive input.
Heīs not going to be able to play PF defensively.
They could of course allways trade Gasol. 7 footer that puts up that numbers with 2 years at a little over 3 mio will propably land you sth.
Although their salary structure sinīt ideal, only expiring they could send along is Milicic and then you have only Thabeet left at C. And Haddadi ... (although he didnīt look all that bad actually when he got some burn)
I don't think he's a good defender at all. He doesn't have the speed to help out on players going to the hole and his shot blocking ability is a little below average. He is serviceable in the half court game but gets run on by fast centers. I still think the rebounding is a bigger issue though as the Grizzlies were last in the league in that category. They desperately need a guy who can give them big boards.

I think trading him would be stupid since his contact is really good. The only way they would do that is if they could unload a real bad contact on someone else with Gasol (do they even have a bad contract on the rosters?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Nowaday most PGs canīt guard each other anyway with the new rules and mindset. See Celtics/Bulls. 2 great defensive PGs, neither remotely able to keep the other out of the lane by themselves.
Rubio is faster and quicker than people think as well, imo. But yeah, i donīt see him putting up 18/10 in year 1 either Maybe either 30 minutes starter with like 10-12 points with 6 or 7 assists or coming off the bench to change the pace for 25 minutes a game.
Depends on the team a lot.
That's my point though. Rubio isn't a Rose/Rondo style PG who can't be guarded. He has a ton of other skills but is just not that quick compared to what we're seeing out of the elite PGs in the game. Conley also played real well down the stretch and may be worth keeping at the point.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote