View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #74
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Why would the Grizzlies need size so bad ? I mean, the other Gasol wonīt be an all star, but he averaged 12/7,5 on good shooting while getting to the line pretty well (4,6 times a game for a 12 PPG scorer is good). Isnīt much of a shotblocker, but could very well put up 15/9 with good position defense and good passing for a big for a couple years.
Thabeet and him could never see the floor together.

Gasol is a crappy rebounder and defender. Those are two things the Grizzlies desperately need. He's also probably better suited to play PF if they can get him to drop 30 pounds.

I like Rubio's game but I still don't think he's the sure thing a lot of you guys are making him out to be. He's only 18 and that's always a huge question mark. He's also not very quick or athletic compared to the premier point guards in the game. Sure that doesn't come into play much in the international game, but how does he handle going against faster guards like Paul, Rose, Rondo night in and night out? The current NBA rules are built for speed and quickness, something Rubio doesn't thrive in.

Not saying the Griz shouldn't take him at #2, just saying I think he's going to have some growing pains in the NBA. He's not going to adjust as quickly as guys like Paul and Williams did. It's going to take him 4-5 years before he is at a high level while Thabeet can step in and give you 10 boards and a few blocks every night right off the bat.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote