View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #417
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
First off, games were rigged. A 13-year NBA official was convicted of gambling. He bet on games that he officiated. He passed along information on refs and players to his handlers. Statistical analysis of his games showed a very high probability that those games were fixed. So lets not act like the NBA has not had fixed games before.

As for throwing games, I don't think it's a simple "hey make sure the Lakers win on Sunday". They assign officials they know call games certain ways to get the outcome they want. There are certain officials like Joey Crawford who they know doesn't handle home crowds well and calls in favor of the home team (you can look at his statistics on a number of betting sites). He will get assigned to a lot of Game 6's where it benefits the NBA to have the home team win and force a Game 7. Is Joey Crawford cheating? No. Does the league factor in what's in their best interest when assigning refs to games? I believe so.

Now there have been a lot of controversial games. The Kings-Lakers game is probably the most used. I've seen that game multiple times and I'm still convinced it was thrown. Whether that came from the NBA or just a crooked official (Donaghy did officiate it) I don't know. I do know that Donaghy did say games were fixed by a few refs who were "company men". I also know that the games that have the most controversial officials all seem to involve the same refs (Salvatore, Bevetta, Crawford, Donaghy, etc). Now most of these refs are rated very poorly throughout the league yet seem to get the most important games every year. I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't want your highest rated officials on the court for the biggest games.

Whatever you believe though, I still find the Donaghy story the most underated sports story in decades. Yes it got air play, but it should have been enormous. A 13-year NBA official who was involved in some of the biggest games was caught betting on those games. How is that not Pete Rose times 100? The entire integrity of the NBA just got shot in the face. I felt ESPN didn't go too deep into it because of their relationship with the NBA. The company that has to inform me of ever bowel movement TO makes couldn't research the games he officiated and come up with some statistics?

Interesting points. Especially combined with the fact that the NBA has refused, even in light of the Donaghy thing, to make referee evaluation/assignments the responsibility of some independent entity, when that was suggested.

But I don't think Donaghy rigging games necessarily equates to "the NBA rigging games". Dongahy had nothing substantial on the NBA to save his own ass. I always assumed with him it was a money thing, but who knows.

Certainly, the NBA hasn't done much to quiet the suspicions (though I totally agree with you that it's AMAZING the Donaghy thing didn't get more play). For me, it was a huge deal, even somewhat tainting the Celts' championship last year. Who knows if they didn't get help from crooked refs?

Is there any evidence that the NBA goes 7 games more often than the NHL, or MLB?

Last edited by molson : 05-01-2009 at 01:34 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote