View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #235
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I honestly don't think I am. I was one of the few in those threads who was all for the NHL kicking him out based on his comments with Dallas, so I have no long-lasting love for the guy. I wanted him back because the team wins with him in the lineup, plain and simple.

He deserved the misconduct, he deserved the roughing call (and actually more) when he gave Varlamov that shot. But the high sticking call was a fucking joke. The goalie interference call was a fucking joke. He gets slashed and cross-checked constantly, takes elbows to the back of the head, slashes to the balls. It would take a McSorley shot to his head for him to draw a penalty. That's not "losing some leeway." If this keeps up, Tortorella will be better served not playing him.

I disagree on his penalties. The goalie interference was not a joke. He went into the crease uncontrolled and ran into the goalie. That's goalie interference, plain and simple. Do people sometimes get away with something like that? Sure, but Avery is being watched closer than your average guy, and so he's not going to get away with anything. I can't recall the high stick, so I'll refrain from comment on that one.

As for him getting mugged, well, again, he's reaping what he has sowed over years of being a douchebag and 'straddling the line'. This is how hockey works: you try to make a mockery of the other players and refs, and eventually the players will start to cheap shot you and the refs will look the other way. As much as I want the Rangers to win, I don't have a problem with that logic at all, and it's one of the reasons why I didn't want Avery back with the team.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote