View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #40
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quick thoughts about the Wings/Columbus series.

I think the Wings should win, but there are (as always) some concerns.

1. Goaltending is the obvious one. Either Osgood comes into form (despite all evidence to the contrary all year) and the Wings have a good run, or he doesn't and it's short and sad.

2. Injuries have started to crop up at a bad time. Draper is out for at least the first two games. That's a huge hit to the Wings' face-off prowess. Cleary tweaked his knee in practice the other day (though will play) and Hossa hurt his groin and missed the last two games of the season (but will play). Groins are tricky things. Not great.

3. The Jackets have a number of forwards who can create problems for Detroit in their own zone. The Detroit defense isn't particularly strong or big, which can lead to problems in the corners and, especially, around and behind the net. Big, strong forwards like Torres, Umberger, Nash, and Modin can really cause problems in those areas. Young Eircsson who has been filling in for the still injured Lilja has been particularly suspectible to coughing up the puck behind his own net.

It will be interesting to see how Mason holds up. I think he should be fine, but maybe (hopefully) he's getting tired. Let's hope he's more "Jim Carrey" than "Patrick Roy."

I think I can see the Wings winning in 6.

As for the other series:

Boston - Montreal
Boston in 4.

Washington - NYR
Rangers in 6

Devils - Hurricanes
Hurricanes in 5.

Pens - Flyers
Penguins in 7.

San Jose - Anaheim
San Jose in 7.

Vancouver - St. Louis
St. Louis in 6.

Chicago - Calgary
Chicago in 5.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote