View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #425
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Tagging the base ends the play immediately. What caused all this was the time involved to chase down the runner (between second and third) and apply the tag while the runner who started on third (who didn't tag up after the catch by the pitcher) made it home.

If he steps on second then Ethier doesn't cross home plate in time creating a moot point on whether or not he tagged up. Because Lopez chased down Pierre, it gave Ethier time to touch home plate before the third out was recorded. Then you get into the dynamics about how to challenge a play and because the defensive team left the field, they were then unable to challenge the fact that Ethier hadn't tagged up on the play.

I totally understand all that. It's the same process if it was a normal ground ball in a non-force situation, where the runner could cross the plate before a tag is made, making the run count. I just don't see how realistically you could award a run when a 3rd out is made on a force play (for Pierre not tagging up). (edit: Yep, this is probably my mistake. It was not technically a force play because there's a tag.)

Also, I didn't see the play. The writer's choice of words of "Because Lopez, the player with the ball, moved to tag a runner and not the base itself, he more or less put Pierre in a rundown" made me think that Lopez crossed over 2nd and tagged Pierre as he tried returning to the base. If it was a true rundown like you would normally see, I would think the writer wouldn't have said "more or less." WTF is the difference between standing on 2nd base or tagging a guy as he slides back into it?

My problem is obviously with the rule, not that it was called (correctly).

Last edited by Logan : 04-14-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote