View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #377
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
No, I'm not a Royals fan. But it's true - they suck, and ticket sales are way down, to the point where they won't announce season ticket sales numbers.

Truthfully, though - and I may in the minority with this opinion - I wouldn't pay $250 a seat for Game 7 of the World Series, let alone try to take a family of 4 to a game at $250 a pop. Utterly ridiculous. I guess that would explain why I haven't seen a professional sporting event in person in several years.

Definitely not. My season tickets are 2 rows off the field and are $30/ea. I end up with 10 games of 2 tickets for myself. That is reasonable for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
You mean non-descript, as in World Series Champions?

Not sure why that matters, though. Who is going to argue with the comment that the Nationals suck and no one wants to pay good money to watch them? That's the case for a number of teams. It wasn't meant as a personal shot, and it's not like there is some kind of rivalry (although perhaps there is something between DC and Philly, I don't know - I'm not from there and don't really have a clue in that regard).

Well, there is. If nothing else in that Phillies fans, whether you want to disagree or not, are some of the worst in sports. And we have experience certainly from football, but also hockey and basketball. It has held true for baseball as well.

In addition, to know where we're at, I don't know if this made national news, but... Stan Kasten, the team president, went on two radio stations in Philadelphia and encouraged the Phillies fans to come to DC for the home opener. If that doesn't tell you something about the state of things, I don't know what else will.

But clearly, even if you look at the Phillies in the 90's, baseball attendance is largely based on performance (except a few anomolies such as the Yankees, REd Sox and Marlins). If your team does well, attendance will rise. With a team that peaked in it's first year at .500, attendance is going to be low.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote