View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 06:46 AM   #231
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
You can keep the rest of them, but I'd definitely like Dunn and his 40 hr and .380 obp. It's going to be a long year with this offense.

Jay Bruce was doing his best Dunn impression last night, falling down on the Schneider single to right, allowing 3 runs to score instead of 2. That could've made a huge difference in the outcome, that extra run.

Before that, Gonzalez scuffs the sure double play ball allowing a couple more runs.

I do believe our defense is much improved, but WOW the first 2 games have sucked pretty badly.

Too early to call the new Reds offense a washout. The first game they had 3 hits, but it was against freakin' Santana/Putz/K-Rod, so I give them a pass.

Today, they had 7 runs and threatened in the 9th, which with the Reds' pitching will win most games.

Honestly, I blame this on the coaching. No way Volquez should've been out there that long to give up those runs. His velocity was down 4-5 mph on his fastball, and he pitched to 3-4 more batters and gave up those runs. Granted, the D let him down a bit, but Masset should've been in earlier... Volquez is still struggling through his time away with the Dominican team and missing spring training.

Then, Mike Lincoln comes out and looks like crap... and then CONTINUES to look like crap and doesn't get pulled for Rhodes or Herrera, 2 lefties that apparently are unneeded in the bullpen. Those 4 runs in the 7th really killed the game for the Reds. Bad game all around.

But I'm with Lathum, I would rather have good, reliable pitching then have to score 9 runs every game to win. It'll work out more times than not if they can keep hitting. I really like this team, a lot more than the lackadaisical Reds teams of the past few years.

Last edited by Butter : 04-09-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote