View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #1872
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The gameplay was also kind of shakey. Lot of bad shooting, turnovers, and poor fundamentals. UConn shot 63% from the free throw line in a Final Four game. The runner-up Michigan State had 21 turnovers in the championship game. The most exciting game in the tournament (OSU-Siena) had both teams shooting in the thirties. There just weren't a lot of stars shining in this tournament outside of the guys at UNC (who really didn't play one exciting game all tournament).

Perhaps I look at it a different way that you do. Outside of the free throw numbers that you mentioned were a bit iffy in some games, I see a much greater emphasis by many college teams to incorporate strong team defense into their games since many of the stars that might have previously stayed for 4 years are now quickly moving on. You say that MSU played poorly in the final with 21 turnovers. I saw a well-coached NC defense.

I know that Mizzou spends 75% of their practice working on defense. KU runs about 60% defense in Bill Self's practices. Oklahoma State is another 'offense off of defensive pressure' team who gets a lot of shots while sacrificing shooting percentage. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for. I just don't buy the theory that since offensive numbers were down that there weren't good games. It was a defensive buffet from where I was watching.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote