View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #1867
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
How do you guys measure good games? Buzzer beaters only?

There were plenty of good games, a lot of high quality games. You mean to tell me that Kansas-Michigan State game wasn't a good game? Not to mention you missed Nova-Pitt, Pitt-Xavier, Mizzou-Marquette, Michigan State-USC, Oklahoma State-Tennessee, Marquette-Utah State, Kansas-ND State, LSU-Butler, UCLA-VCU, and WKU-Illinois. All of these games were high quality basketball down to the last couple minutes and I left out Clemson-Michigan because it was high quality basketball.

Seems like a lot of good games to mean but if the only measurable is buzzer beaters or overtime games then I can't imagine you guys would ever be happy.

You're stretching it a lot with some of those. Kansas-North Dakota State was vaguely close but KU never was behind the entire second half. Mizzou was up something like 12 before almost choking the lead away against Marquette. Kansas-Michigan State was an ugly game. I'm not sure I'd call it a good game- both teams shot maybe 45% but it was close. But it looked great next to Pitt-Xavier where I don't think either team broke 35% shooting- that was just ugly as sin. It was just boring and no one could hit a shot. And that's off the top of my head.

Nova-Pitt was a good game. UCLA-VCU was a good game, tho, honestly most of the game it felt like UCLA had it in hand. Hell, American-Villanova was really fun... for a half. Some of those others were good games. But the percentage was quite low. There were 63 games played- some of those are going to be close. But not very many of them were this year. And a lot of the ones that were are of the "ugly" variety where neither team could hit the barn.

I don't need buzzer beaters but I want something so that when there are 3 and 4 games on at once, there's a game worth CBS flipping to and frequently, there was not a close game or if there was, it was something where one team was just putting another out of their misery and it was a foregone conclusion. The lack of mid majors and cinderellas didn't help as all because the upsets were silly ones that "everyone predicted". Underachieving Arizona knocking off Utah, Western Kentucky beating overseeded Illinois, and Cleveland State- the only real upset- were the only games outside of 8/9 and 7/10. And once you got to the Sweet 16- all 4 1/2/3s (along with 4/4/5/12)- that's the formula for the office secretary winning the pool.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote