View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #331
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
And maybe that's the fundamental cultural difference. I see the cops as on my side, even the one time I got pulled over for speeding (I was), or the one accident I was in as a teenager that was technically my fault. Lots of folks here argue about the cops as the enemy, and their initial reaction to a police presences is as the enemy to them. I think that reaction just helps feed the negative cycle that leads to incidents like this.

You have a valid point here, but the problem stems from corrupt officers at its root. If Police had never given the populace the reason to suspect they were just on power trips or taking advantage of their positon of authority then I doubt this perception would exist.

its the proverbial "one bad apple" syndrome over centuries of authoritarian groups in all societies. power corrupts. Society's memory is hard to change. a few really bad incidents and stories stick with the populace longer than the story of the cops that do their job with integrity and never get noticed for it.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote