View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #330
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
It's pretty clear he did a routine traffic stop, got nervous when a bunch of people jumped out of the car, realised there was no danger, then taught them a lesson.

The bolded bit is why he needs to be fired. This is not his job nor his right as a police officer on a traffic stop or any other routine assignment. Somehow in this country we've handed over total authority to the Police force. They are not empowered to CONTROL society, they are empowered to enforce the law. Police intercession should not be a proactive system of taking action without necessity.

This cop knew what was going on as soon as the first 2 minutes had passed, he went above and beyond his authority when he detained moats after that. he wasn't being a cop he was being a prick.

The Police are around to protect citizens and enforce the law. Teaching someone a lesson isn't part of that. The image of a power tripping cop is far more prevelant than that of the honest community supporting one. Thats something that needs to change. People don't deserve respect because they put on a uniform, respect is still earned by fulfilling the postition that uniform entails with honor and decency.

not sure where I was going here but I get this image from Molson and gst that "oh god its a cop I should get on teh ground and bow and scrape non threateningly so they don't throw me in jail" and thats not at all what a police officer should expect (yes I know its hyperbole, live with it)

Officers must be able to deal with a distraught individual or group of them without losing their cool AT ALL. yes they are human too, but if you cannot manage to do that perhaps you should not be a police officer. it takes more than being a badass with an attitude to be a Policeman.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote