View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #294
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
They definitely don't perfectly overlap, no question. But you're still subject to the inconviences and penalties associated with laws, even if you don't find the illegal conduct morally wrong.

This isn't exactly on-topic with this thread, but I think some people have the idea that since something isn't morally wrong, then they shouldn't be penalized or inconvienced for it. So in that context, when it suits them, they completely ignore the fact that law and morality don't overlap.

That's why a lot of the arguments here, and in this kind of context, are missing each other. When someone says, "breaking the law causes you to get pulled over", and someone else says, "try saying that when your wife is in labor", that second comment is completely non-responsive to the first one. You can be stressed by the labor situation, and make a bad judgment to get break laws, causing you to get pulled over, a risking the health of your wife. Doesn't make you a horrible person. But as in many areas of life, being calmer and cooler might be better.

If a law is broken but mitigating cirumstances make clear to any reasonable person that the breaking of the law was acceptable and even preferred in the citizen's situation, then I expect my law enforcement officers, or failing on their part then my district attorneys, of failing on their part then my local jury members to dismiss the charges without punishment.

And fortunately for me, the vast majority of people in charge agree, and that's why, for example, Moats' ticket has been dismissed and why I was not ticketed for running the red light in my situation.

So, yes, logically I am still subject to the inconveniences and penalties associated with laws. But I will protest the application of those penalties and any excessive inconveniences in these kinds of situations. Both with my voice and my vote (we elect judges and DAs around here, not sure about everywhere). There is always room for common sense and compassion.

I get the feeling there are a lot of fans of the completely ludicrous "zero tolerance" approach by school administrators these days. You know, the kind of approach that results in kids getting strip-searched because they are suspected of having extra strength ibuprofen at school.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote