View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #262
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
What has the general attitude been towards Oliver Purnell at Clemson? Anybody here familiar with Clemson basketball? I used to watch him when I was younger at Dayton and he loved there. I remember a lot of general sadness when he left.

See next comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I went to Dayton, and my wife went to Clemson. I was sad when he left UD, but felt he would get Clemson back to respectability, and he has done that. If he loses in the NCAA's this year, it will be 2 back-to-back 1st round NCAA exits so there will be a bit of grumbling, but all in all, football is 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at Clemson, so he has a bit more leeway than a coach at a more even-keeled school would have. Just getting Clemson ranked on a regular basis is probably good enough for most at the school. He has a long term contract at Clemson, the fans seem to like him, and he seems to like the fans, so I think he will probably close out his career there.

I think you actually under sell his affinity. Most here are ready to Saint him, he pretty much has the proverbial free pass at this point. Even as the team has struggled down the stretch and spending large parts of each day listening to Clemson sports talk radio I have yet to hear a single call bashin OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
It seems like Clemson always peaks a couple of months too early, limps into the tournament and then absolutely implodes once they get there. Michigan is shooting so well, though, it may not have mattered what Clemson did.

I think there is some truth here and explainably so, but it is important to remember that last year wwas the first time in a decade Clemson had been to the NCAA...so to say they always implode is a bit of a stretch. Before last year their last tourney run was a Sweet sixteen appearance with Rick Barnes as the coach.

That said we press 35+ minutes a game, and only have a handful of talented players. We wear ourselves out. That is changing though, as more and more talent is brought in by Purnell the future is bright.

In the history of recruiting rankings, Clemson has never had a 5 star player but have 2 coming in next year. So the talent level is improving and having more capable bodies will allow more rest per game and prevent the late season fatigue.

+++++

Edit this is absolutely horse shit.
If we had known this crap we could have brought CJ Spiller and De'Quan Bowers...had no idea it was a football game.
You toss a player for throwing an elbow when his opponent has two handsful of his jersey and his pulling him down, yet two players of ours get busted open and neither draws a foul.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote